Mushroom leather, Zero waste, and holiday shopping tips, just in time for Black Friday week. Read on for this week’s link love.
What a crazy week! All of a sudden it’s a brave new world, with our neighbours down south voting in a new president.
Our first link will be dedicated to them, then, because hopefully for a moment they’ll unite behind a common goal tomorrow for America Recycles Day.
Thankfully, it’s business as usual here at City Waste Services and elsewhere in the world, where there are some cool things happening. Check out the rest of this week’s links for more.
Did you all remember to set your clocks back this weekend? It’s so much harder to forget now that we’ve all got phones that automatically update themselves.
Boy, could I tell you funny stories about the times when we had to adjust our clocks ourselves and forgot. Back when we had to walk 100 miles to school in the snow, over mountains and valleys, and well, you get the idea. I’m sure you’d much rather get to this week’s link love though, so let’s get to it and save the trip down memory lane for another time.
Happy Halloween everyone! Hope you all had a great weekend full of Halloween parties.
If your weekend was anything like ours, you’ll just want to skip to the good stuff, so without further ado, here are our favourite links from this past week.
Are you ready for Halloween? There’s only a week left before you have to take the kids trick-or-treating, or if you’re staying in, to give out treats to the little ones knocking at your door. There’s even less time for those of you attending Halloween parties this weekend.
If you’re not completely prepared yet and still have purchases to make, consider going green this Halloween. And even if you’ve been prepared for weeks, have a look at our first couple of links and shelve the ideas for next year.
Waste reduction week has officially started! It should be no surprise then, that this week’s links are all dedicated to waste reduction.
First we’ll feature a parody created by Kill The K-Cup, a movement to help raise public awareness about the incredible amount of waste generated by single-use coffee pods. It’s almost unbelievable to think that in 2013 there were enough coffee pods produced to wrap around the equator 10.5 times.
(via Kill The K-Cup)
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! If you’re not busy preparing for a hearty Thanksgiving dinner (as a guest or a host), here are this week’s links to keep you busy before you are. We’ve even thrown in a couple of Thanksgiving themed links in the spirit of the holiday.
- 8 Easy Green Thanksgiving Tips
- Our favourite quote from the article, for no other reason than the fact that we’re already feeling sleepy just thinking about dinner: “Before you rush to eat yourself into a Tryptophan-induced coma, take a minute to think about where your food comes from.”
- How to Go Green: Thanksgiving Day
- Definitely one of the most thorough posts on Thanksgiving eco-friendliness we’ve seen! Lots of helpful information here, including some cool facts about turkeys!
- Best Before Dates & Expiry Dates: 5 Things You May Not Know
- Did you know that the yolk of an egg past its best before date may be more likely to break? More importantly, there’s probably nothing wrong with it, as long as it’s not cracked. Before you throw out those eggs that were best before yesterday, read this article and start reducing your food waste.
- The Big Sort: An Insider’s Tour of a Recycling Plant
- Ever wonder how that jumble of recyclable waste in your blue bin actually gets sorted? Here’s a cool video showing what happens to the contents of your blue box after they’re collected from your curb.
- Red Propeller
- Do you know what a VHS tape is? If you do, chances are you probably have a collection of them lurking behind a pile of junk in your basement–right beside the picture of you sporting a fantastic mullet. Like your mullet, their time has passed. Convert their contents to DVD or Blu-ray and recycle them with this company. Amazingly, they also accept children’s used car seats for recycling so you don’t have to throw them in the garbage!
Those of you who follow us on Facebook, Twitter or Google Plus know we post regular updates about interesting links and news we find on the internet.
We realize that while everyone may not have time for social media, everyone does have time to read our amazing blog right?
So, starting this week, we’ve decided to post a weekly roundup of some of the links we’ve posted to social media, as well as other cool stuff we’ve found.